mother's day and another doctor appointment

mother's day and another doctor appointment

First of all, here is a picture from the wedding up in Massachusetts. Savannah looked so pretty in her dress and matching bow! Unfortunately, I didn’t get any good pictures that show her whole dress, but here is a cute one that shows her bow:
What a pretty bow you have!

Sunday was my first Mother’s Day! I got really excited when I realized on Saturday night that I had a stake in the next day. :-) It’s fun having a holiday that’s not in December!

To my surprise, Paul had some special plans for me for Mother’s Day! Or rather, Savannah had special plans that Paul acted upon. ;-) After church, we went to Publix and got some fried chicken and potato salad. Then we picked up a fruit basket from Edible Arrangements. (!!!) We had a picnic at a nearby park, which was really fun! We came home so Savannah could get a nap, and after dinner she took me out to get ice cream. A very nice mother’s day… and I look forward to when Savannah actually can participate in it! Hehe

A picture from our day. Check out Savannah’s adorable ponytail!
Mother's Day

Yesterday, I had a follow-up doctor’s appointment, and she had concerns because the lump on my breast from the mastitis was still there. She referred me to a surgeon who specialized in this type of thing, thinking that I might need surgery to make sure it was all drained. Also, she told me the results from the swab they took last week – apparently, the bacteria I have is MRSA. This isn’t a concern anymore since everything has finished draining, but it does mean that it’s going to be hard to kill it.

I had my appointment with the surgeon today. He was very encouraging. He asked me a lot about how I was feeling, and then he said that it’s obvious I’m on the mend since I’m feeling so much better. After examining me, he said that he didn’t think I needed surgery – that the best thing I needed right now was time and antibiotics. I felt so relieved! He gave me a prescription for a third antibiotic to take after this one is done. I asked about the lump, and he said it could be several months before everything is 100% back to normal. He said to come back in 2 weeks for a follow-up, and I should come in if I start feeling yucky again.

So, yay to not having to have surgery! I’m so glad. And I’m so ready to be myself again! I have been sad that we haven’t had a chance to go camping yet this spring – every year in the past we’ve always started in April, and now it looks like we won’t get to until June. :-( Oh well, we’ll have to make up for it next year. I am wondering if I will ever be able to nurse Savannah on that side again… the last few times I’ve tried she hasn’t latched. I hope I am. I think I will probably have permanent scars on that side… A reminder to never let mastitis go untreated! And if my gut tells me to go to the doctor, I should insist on being seen. (Hmm, you’d think I would have learned that lesson when my gut told me to go to the hospital and I ignored it…)

I celebrated feeling better today by deep cleaning the bathroom. :-) It really needed it! I didn’t get to the bathtub, but everything else got disinfected and cleaned thoroughly. Our whole house is a mess, so it was good to get one thing sparkling pretty. Now, what room should I tackle next?

4 thoughts on “mother's day and another doctor appointment

  1. I just love seeing pictures of Savannah as she is just so adorable! Those cheeks! That smile! I’m glad you are feeling better. I got mastitis so bad with my third one that the Dr. threatened to put me in the hospital on IV antibiotics. It was miserable! I’m also glad you had a nice mother’s day!

  2. Anne: Wow! I’ve never heard of anyone else getting mastitis so bad! I’m glad I’m not the only one. Did you ever get an abscesses? I am glad you got better too. :-)

  3. Hey Ashley! I didn’t get abcesses, but I had such a bad infection that I had to stop nursing. I was only able to nurse for the first 6 weeks and it was horrible the whole time no matter how much I used cabbage leaves, hot showers, hot rags, pumping, etc. I’m glad that you have been able to nurse as long as you have. I have very sensitive skin and just couldn’t take it. I also cracked and bruised so bad and it never got better. I also had thrush. Lots went wrong! And I made myself feel so guilty over it. There was so much pressure to breastfeed. I didn’t even try past three days with my fourth. Oh well. :)

Comments are closed.

Comments are closed.