As the summer goes into full-swing, I’m realizing that I have 9-ish weeks now left to prepare for Baby Sparkleberry. So being the organized list-maker I am, I am trying to get an idea of what I still need to do. A lot of it depends on if we’re moving or not, and we won’t know the answer to that question until July 31st at the latest.
1. Research vaccinations and decide which ones and when I want them administered. (At least for the vaccinations babies typically get during their first few months.)
2. Find a pediatrician. I have no idea how to go about doing this. Do I need to wait and find out where I’m going to be living first?
3. Write thank-you notes
4. Do the necessary paperwork for the hospital. Call and ask if they do a hospital tour at a time when my husband can come too – i.e. NOT 4:30 on a weekday afternoon!
5. Figure out stuff with the birth class. I know; I’m such a procrastinator. :-) Sign up for the water birth class at the hospital – I have to take it if I want to have a water birth, and I’m trying to keep my options open.
6. Design baby announcements to send to friends & family; look into where to get them printed; make sure address list is up-to-date (if you’ve moved since Christmas, let us know your new address!).
7. I know I’m missing things, but I can’t think of them right now. I’m sure it will come to me and I’ll update the list.
Baby items we still need to buy before the baby is born:
1. Diaper bag
2. Arm’s Reach mini co-sleeper
3. Infant carseat
5. Newborn disposable diapers for the first few weeks (does it matter what brand? how many will I need?)
6. Changing pad
7. Nursing pillow
8. Waterproof mattress pad for our bed, and probably something for the co-sleeper as well
We already have some stuff, like basic clothes, cloth diapers, baby monitors, bathtime necessities, a few bottles, and all the towels and blankets I’ll ever need.
Baby items we’d like to get pretty soon after the baby is born:
Pack n play (yay! got one today!)
2. Ergo carrier
3. Bouncer/swing (or borrow one to see if baby likes it)
4. Diaper pail and liner for the cloth diapers
5. Breast pump (?)
Obviously other things we’ll need to get down the road – like when our baby gets into solid foods, starts crawling/walking, etc. etc. Am I missing anything?