Tonight, I had to miss a super fun evening with the Garrisons at Stone Mountain. I was really disappointed; I had been looking forward to this, and we were worried it was going to rain but the weather was beautiful! Sigh. I hope we can reschedule, but I’m really bummed I had to cancel.

This morning I went over to my coworker Lisa’s apartment to help her with some computer stuff. I brought my laptop and was teaching her how to use Dreamweaver and Fireworks, and we were having a great time. Suddenly, my head started hurting. I excused myself to go take some medicine, but the bottle I keep in my purse was empty. I went back for a little while longer, thinking it could wait until I got home. Soon, however, I realized it wasn’t going to happen so I excused myself again and drove to a nearby drugstore and picked up some Excedrin. I came back to Lisa’s place, and asked to sit down for a while and not look at the computer. When I wasn’t getting better, I laid down and put a dark cloth over my face to block out light. Soon, my nauseagrew worse and lost my entire lunch in Lisa’s bathroom. Time from when I first got the headache to then was about 45 minutes. *sigh*

I slept on Lisa’s couch until Paul got off work and was able to pick me up; at which point, I had to call the Garrisons and cancel Stone Mountain plans tonight. Not another migraine, I thought. Not only did I not want the added expense of another emergency room visit, but I really didn’t want to go through that whole Morphine IV again!

Paul got me comfortable and I slept most of the afternoon. Later in the evening, I was able to eat some crackers and keep it down. I have found that as long as I stay perfectly still, I’m good to go. When I start moving around (rolling over, changing positions) I get queasy. Paul found some samples of Imitrex in my medicine cabinet. They were 2 years old, which is why I didn’t take them last weekend (that, and I was afraid I would just throw them up again). However, Paul noticed they expired only a few months ago, so I decided to try my luck and take one.

I’m feeling much, much better now. I have had very good experiences with Imitrex in the past, although usually it puts me out for the day (unlike their claims that you can go on with your life after taking it). I am now wide awake, able to sit up and walk around, and I even at a bowl of rice! I am happy now, and sufficiently scared into making an appointment ASAP.

Well there went my Saturday and here’s hoping I don’t lose my Sunday as well. We were hoping to go to the Zoo tomorrow, but I have a feeling that will have to wait too. Besides, we need to go back to Lisa’s apartment and pick up my car.

The weird thing about the migraines is that I can’t figure out what is triggering them. In the past, I’ve been able to pinpoint a few things – once I lost my student ID and so I didn’t eat for a day, and I got a bad migraine. Other triggers are dehydration (especially when I was living in Florida with an air-conditioner-less car) and certain smells (when I first worked at the print shop, the smell of the ink really gave me bad headaches). But now? I’ve been eating regular meals (now that Paul has taken over the cooking :-)), trying to drink lots of water (60-80 oz. a day), and there isn’t anything different about my routine like a new job. I felt a bit stressed on Friday at work, but overall I haven’t been too stressed. The only thing perhaps is lack of sleep – I am still having a lot of trouble falling asleep at night (do all newlyweds struggle with this?), usually zoning off around 2am and getting up for work at 8am. I dunno… perhaps the doctor will have some answers. When I make the appointment. :-)

Comments are closed.