Well, the internet has been hooked up and I’m catching up online while trying to unpack at the same time! Oh, and taking naps…! :-) That has been wonderful!!
The move went pretty well. In a lot of ways I wasn’t as organized as I have been in the past, but I think more stuff was packed beforehand this time. We have one more carload still at the apartment – miscellaneous stuff like the floor lamps and a few other things. Then I need to vacuum the living room (the rest of the rooms have already been cleaned) and we’ll be good to turn in our keys tomorrow! I think this is the best shape I have left an apartment. As sad as I am to leave it, I will be glad to be only in one place. A lot happened in that apartment – we found out we were pregnant, I spent a lot of time sick in bed there during my first trimester, Savannah was born there… but we’ll be making new memories in our house. Moving on, moving up!
Some thoughts about the move:
* I was off on my time estimates so we had a couple of people show up at the tail end of unloading the truck at the new house. So, we put them to work putting away the kitchen and setting up the bedroom. Oh my word. I wish I had done that with every move! In the craziness of the day, it was SOOO nice to have some semblance of order when you go to bed at night, and I think having your kitchen put away and your bed made just really emotionally makes all the difference.
* I wasn’t sure we were going to be able to do it, but we did. SO many awesome people stepped in and helped. Several friends came over to help me pack beforehand, which really made a difference. Our Sunday School class stepped in and helped on moving day. Paul and I think that helping others move builds community, and we enjoy that aspect of the hard work.
* Having someone come and hold Savannah while I do stuff was a good idea too. I wish I had taken advantage of more offers beforehand. :-) There are just some things you have to do yourself, and I’m grateful Savannah will be held by anyone.
* I’m glad Savannah takes a bottle. Pumping and bottle feeding for moving day took a load off my mind, since breastfeeding isn’t completely smooth for me yet – especially when there is a lot of hubbub around!
Thoughts about our new house:
* So much to do!!
* We can hear a train in the distance from our house. It makes us smile. It’s not close enough to be loud, but for some reason we both find the sound of a train horn in the distance comforting and happy.
* I wasn’t expecting how different it would be with hardwood floors! We went out and bought felt pads for our furniture. And rubber pads for the couches so they stop slip-sliding all over the living room. :-)
* Our house is close to the entrance to our neighborhood, so there is a good amount of traffic (for a residential area). It will take some getting used to at night, I think.
* As predicted, the kitties absolutely love the bay window. I put a pillow there and Lewis is curled up right now. They also love the stairs and keep racing up and down, and sprawling at the top of the stairs where they can survey the world. I hope they like their new house.
* I can’t wait to redo the kitchen! In the meantime, though, I’m trying to make it work.