I feel like it’s been a long time since I’ve really written in here. The past few posts have been ones I finally finished from my drafts folder. Don’t get me wrong – I have a LOT of post ideas running through my head! However, when I sit down to write them, nothing comes to mind.
* Bible Study I have started attending a women’s Bible study on Tuesday nights. It’s all about how to be a good wife, and so far I’ve really been enjoying it! Even though I know a lot of the stuff already, I think it’s good to be reminded. This particular study was written by the woman who is leading it, and I love how she logically connects things (versus a “to do” list for the perfect wife). Right now, we’re talking about not trying to change our husbands but accepting and loving them as they are, just as Christ loves us. On Sunday mornings, Paul and I are still attending the newlyweds class. We’re doing a series called “Love and Respect” (by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs). It’s really insightful, and ties in a lot with the Bible study.
* Employment One of the reasons Paul and I met with a budget coach was to see if we COULD make it work on just his salary. We decided after number crunching that it would be best if I went back to work and we continue to hack away at our loans. After three months, full-time freelance just wasn’t bringing enough money in – and I learned that I don’t have what it takes to get a new business up and running (at least right now). Perhaps I’ll try it again in the future, but for now I’d rather work at a job and get to a place where we won’t be reliant on me bringing in income. I found a job in graphic design, and I start in the next few days.
* Heat The day I found out I had gotten the job, I turned our heater on. It has been SOO wonderful having warmth in the house! I am surprised that I am even finding myself WARM at times, even though the thermostat is still set to 65. Last winter I insisted that the thermostat go no lower than 68, and even turned it up to 70 a few times. It’s interesting how perspective changes about what is “needed” when our life circumstances change.
* Blankets For an early birthday present, my parents got us an electric blanket! I was very excited about this. Paul is still convinced it’s going to burst into flames any minute. I am quite enjoying going to bed and having the sheets already warm. This was good timing, because we were able to move the blanket that was on our bed to the guest bed in preparation for Isaac coming to visit in a few weeks!
* Computer So our desktop computer bit the dust recently. We took it in to be fixed, but we were told that since it’s 4 years old we should probably upgrade. After consulting with my brother, we decided that we’re going to do that. In the meantime, though, we’re sharing the laptop. Us sharing a computer lasted oh, 3 days, before Paul pulled out the Linux box, fixed it with pieces from the broken computer, and now it’s up and running. :-) We are happy. We found that we would get really bored while we waited around for the other person to finish using the computer. It’s been somewhat frustrating, though, because all my files are on the harddrive of the broken computer, so I haven’t been able to get to them! We found another computer for about $300, but we’re going to wait until after I get my first paycheck.
* TV Speaking of electronics breaking, our TV has been slowly dying. We’re getting to the point where we feel like we’re listening to shows instead of watching them. My parents have the 13″ tv that I had in college which they are willing to give me, but I don’t think our current TV is going to last long enough for their next trip up here (which isn’t in the foreseeable future). So, we may go to Goodwill and just buy a new one. I was disappointed to see that new TVs cost close to $200. That’s ridiculous!
* M*A*S*H I have finally finished watching all eleven seasons of M*A*S*H, including the 2.5 hour series finale! I really enjoyed them, and I’m looking forward to watching the extras. Towards the end I was watching a lot of them at once – I think that may be one reason for my lack of blogging-ness.
* Reunion I have been busy trying to get a date and location for the 2nd annual Gerig Reunion. I think we’ve just about decided on a date… I’m excited! As always, you can find out more info here.
Okay I am going to stop now because I think this has gotten long enough. :-)