high school days
I saw this meme at FiddleDeeDee’s blog “It Coulda Been Worse” and decided to participate. I always love a good walk down memory lane! If you’d like to join along, then consider yourself tagged!
1. Who was your best friend? For the first two years, it was Brianna. We were inseparable! Then she moved back to the States, and AndrÃ©a and I got really close during my last two years. AndrÃ©a is French Canadian and we always had Canada vs. USA jokes going back and forth. :-) I still have some contact with AndrÃ©a, but I haven’t heard from Bri in years.
2. Did you play any sports? I ran track 9th-11th grades and swam 10th-12th grades. I also had a brief stint with the archery club in 10th grade, but I eventually had to quit because it was the same time as swimming. I lettered in track, but don’t be confused – I wasn’t any good!
3. What kind of car did you drive? Drive? What? Hehe in Peru you couldn’t get your driver’s license until you were 18, so I never had the opportunity to drive until college. My parents drove a Toyota van that isn’t sold in the US.
4. Itâ€™s Friday night. Where were you? During my senior year, I had a group of friends who got together on Friday nights to either go to the theater or watch a movie at each others’ house. I think I just entertained myself or worked on homework when I wasn’t doing that.
5. Were you a party animal? Nah, I’d much rather stay at home reading a book. I’m weird I know.
6. Were you considered a flirt? I was completely tongue-tied when it came to boys! I would get so flustered if they even talked to me.
7. Were you in the band, orchestra or choir? I was in choir during 9th and 10th grades until it dissolved due to lack of interest. I played the clarinet for the band 9th-10th grades too, and took guitar lessons in 12th grade.
8. Were you a nerd? I’m not sure. I don’t think so. But I studied hard and made good grades – does that make me a nerd?
9. Were you ever suspended or expelled? Nope I’m too much of a goody two-shoes for that. I don’t think I got in trouble once in high school.
10. Can you sing the fight song? Did we have a fight song?
1. Who was your favorite teacher? Hmm, it’s hard to pick – I had a lot of really great teachers. Mr. Cotner was my history teacher; he was great. I also liked my Creative Writing teacher, Mrs. Greenhill. My English teacher, Ms. Brough, really helped me as I transitioned to high school.
12. What was your school mascot? The Andean Condor.
13. Did you go to the Prom? I went my junior year with a friend, but had to miss out my senior year because I couldn’t find anyone to go with me. Actually, the truth was that I was being picky – I didn’t want to go with a guy who was going to get wasted. That narrowed it down to like 3 eligible guys, and they were all taken.
14. If you could go back, would you? Hmm I liked a lot of things about high school. I was pretty involved, knew everyone, had a good reputation. I was lonely a lot and periodically sunk into bouts of depression. So, I have positive memories but I think I’ve moved on. :-)
15. What do you remember most about graduation? Two things: crying really hard when I found out that I had been completely left out of the senior video. Argh, it still makes me mad. The other is my parents accidentally forgetting the camera in the taxi so I have only have a few pictures from my high school graduation, and none of me and my family.
16. Where were you on Senior Skip Day? We had a senior skip day? Like my parents would have let me cut school.
17. Did you have a job your senior year? Well since I lived in Peru, I didn’t have a work visa and therefore could not get a job. I babysat a lot, mostly during 9th and 10th grades, and in 11th grade I tutored some Peruvian boys for a while. In 12th grade my job was to study hard, make good grades, and get into college. Check, check, check.
18. Where did you go most often for lunch? I usually sat with my friends. During 9th and 11th grades, it was the bench across from our lockers (we had benches across from all the lockers). In 10th grade we sat on the stairs that led to an emergency exit for the computer lab, and in 12th grade I joined some other friends at a nearby picnic table. We didn’t have a cafeteria or anything like that, and we weren’t allowed to leave campus.
19. Have you gained weight since then? Oh my gosh, who hasn’t?? I was a nice 110/120 lbs in high school. I am sure I will never get back to that, and I haven’t even had kids yet!
20. What did you do after graduation? Moved to the United States. Learned to drive. Opened my first bank account. Went to college.
21. What year did you graduate? 2001 – the first class of the millennium. :-)
22. Who was your Senior Prom Date? See #13
23. Are you going/did you go to your 10 year reunion? Let’s see, my 10 year reunion will be in 4 years. I doubt I will be able to afford a ticket to Peru by then! Perhaps for the 20th or 30th I’ll be able to go, and bring my family. It would be fun to show them around the country where I spent so much of my time.